A simple wire loop above a bead is an essential jewelry making technique that even beginners should put at the top of their list of skills to learn. The beauty in it is it’s a relatively easy skill but it can be used for adding embellishments to most jump ring jewelry.
For example, it’s a technique you’ll use in the top jewelry making tutorial here on Linkouture, the freshwater pearl pendant necklace.
It does take a bit of practice to get this technique down, and don’t worry if your loops look a bit lop-sided.
(In fact, it’s pretty much a guarantee!)
The more you practice how to make an eye loop pin above a bead, the easier it gets and more polished it looks.
I recommend buying some inexpensive wire to practice making them before you move onto headpins.
Most tutorials will show you how to make this with round nose pliers. I do think this is a good jewelry making tool to have in your toolbox.
That said, I personally prefer the step nose pliers (also known as bail forming pliers).
It’s easier to make loops consistently the same size since the pliers are straight and not tapered. (I use the smallest step to make the wire loop above the bead.)
Alright, now for what you’re here for — the tutorial!
- small round bead of your choice
- head pins or ball head pins
- String the bead onto the headpin.
- Trim off the ends so that there is about 1 cm of pin sticking out above the pearl.
- Bend the pin at about a 90-degree angle.
- Grasp the end of the wire between the round nose pliers about 1 cm down and twist the wire around one of the points to make a loop. If you're using the step pliers, hold the wire between the smallest and second smallest steps and wrap the wire around the smallest step.
Make sure the head pin is small enough to fit through the hole of your bead.
Check out this video tutorial to demonstrate how to make a simple eye loop.
JEWELRY MAKING INSPIRATION DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Sign up for the Linkouture newsletter to receive ideas, tutorials, and practical steps for jewelry making e-mailed to you. You’ll also get exclusive access to my FREE mini video course, Jewelry Making Basics.
MORE JEWELRY TUTORIALS YOU’LL LOVE!
Once you’ve mastered how to make an eye pin loop, use it to make the following DIY jewelry tutorials:
- Freshwater pearl necklace — A gorgeous necklace featuring a spiral and a freshwater pearl
- Freshwater pearl earrings — Beautiful earrings that match perfectly with the above necklace
ENJOYED THIS TUTORIAL? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Your shares are how this site grows and I’m super grateful for your help! Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite jewelry-making DIY ideas board on Pinterest.