These upcycled votive candle holders are super simple to make and would be a lovely handmade present for your child to make for family members and teachers (I still have one a student made me nearly seven years ago). They are glued and coated using Mod Podge, which makes an excellent glaze for multiple projects.
For this craft you will need the following:
- A small glass jar, label removed and cleaned out
- Tissue paper (hold onto that crinkled and torn tissue paper from presents!)
- Mod Podge
- A sponge or foam paint brush*
- A pair of scissors
- Votive candle
*Don’t have either a paint brush or spare sponge? Fingers work as well!
If your glass jars have labels on them, I have found soaking them in a bowl with hot water and soap for a couple hours makes it pretty easy to scrape the labels off.
1. Cut the tissue paper into little square. Alternatively, younger children can tear it into pieces.
2. Using a sponge or a foam paintbrush, start to paint the Mod Podge onto the glass jar, doing a small section at a time. (You might want to pour a small amount of Mod Podge into a paper or plastic cup or plate for your child.)
3. Start gluing the tissue paper pieces onto to the glass jar. If the pieces are overlapping, more Mod Podge will need to be added so that the tissue paper is glued securely to the jar. Don’t worry if the tissue paper bleeds. What matters most is that your child is having fun in the process!
4. Once the jar has been covered, allow the piece to dry for about 20 minutes, and then add one more coat of Mod Podge over the entire jar. Be sure to check that any pieces on the inside of the jar are firmly glued to the jar. You don’t want any pieces of paper catching on fire when you light the candle!
5. Once the project has completely dried, place a votive candle inside the jar. Light and enjoy.
This post first appeared in Boston Handmade.
Check out my Pinterest board for even more inspiration for little hands!
Get free shipping on your first order!
Get access to exclusive sales and updates delivered straight to your inbox! You'll also get instant access to a coupon code good for free shipping on your first order of minimalist eco-friendly jewelry for every day wear emailed to you (good for U.S.-based customers only).