Help your children express their creativity on the go with these easy-to-assemble travel art boxes using items you probably already have laying around your house.
My favorite books growing up were the Babysitter’s Club series. I loved them so much my fourth-grade teacher bribed me to stop reading them. I could devour an entire book in one day, and diligently made my way through the series for many years. I even had a bookshelf in my basement devoted entirely to Babysitter’s Club books and all sorts of related paraphernalia and games.
One of the things I remember most about the books were the kits the babysitters put together to bring to their jobs. Each box was chock full of goodies that their kiddos could play with, including plenty of art supplies. They sounded so cool to me, I even made one for myself to take on my non-existent babysitting jobs. (‘Cause, ya know, who wants to hire a 9-year-old to babysit their kids?)
Inspired by these awesome kits and summer (which, growing up for me, meant a loooooong drive from New Jersey to Cape Cod for many years), I am sharing how to make a travel art box. I promise it is really easy to put together and cost effective, as it uses many recycled items and things you probably already having laying around your house.
- Some type of container (I recommend a shoebox if you have one that isn’t being used, you can even have your child decorate it)
- Writing/coloring utensils, such as colored pencils, markers, and/or crayons (just be aware if you keeping this in your car the crayons might melt!)
- Something to write/color on (scrap paper, construction paper, a small notebook, or a journal)
- Glue sticks and/or tape
- Recycled materials, such as paper towel tubes, ribbon, tissues paper, and egg cartons
- Scissors (but not if you’re planning on take this on an airplane or if it is going to be used in the car)
- Paper clips
- Any other items you or your children can think of
What would you put in your travel art box?
A version of this post originally appeared in Boston Handmade.
If you liked this post you might also want to check out:
Get free shipping on your first order!
Get access to exclusive sales and updates delivered straight to your inbox! You'll also get instant access to a coupon code good for free shipping on your first order of minimalist eco-friendly jewelry for every day wear emailed to you (good for U.S.-based customers only).