The highly anticipated, much awaited, Linkouture Handmade Holiday Gift is hot off the press!
Ok, ok, I know what you are thinking. It’s not even Halloween yet and Bev is already bugging me to buy handmade for the holidays? Why, yes, yes I am. And you know why? Well, there are three reasons really:
1. I’m due in exactly three (yes, three!) weeks and that’s right around the time people are starting to think about the holiday season (perfect timing, right?). So I say, better to get it out early!
2. I’m having an early bird “Black Friday/Cyber Monday” sale, the biggest one of the year, starting a week from today, and going until November 4. After that I will be closing my Etsy shop until the end January ’cause this mama-to-be needs to rest up and bond with her new babe. And it would be kind of silly of me to put out a guide with information about holiday sales after mine has already happened. (Yes, shameless self-promotion here!)
3. You don’t want to be frantically searching for that oh-so-perfect, one-of-a-kind gift for your sister a mere three days before Christmas. Now you have plenty of time, and no excuses!
Anyway, I am super pumped to be presenting this guide. It was an idea I cooked up back in August and it features many of the wonderful and talented artists and crafters who I interviewed on my blog this year, as well as a number of my fellow Boston Handmade members. And you will want to be sure to check out the awesome sales that will be going on, listed at the end of the guide.
In retrospect, it may have been a little crazy for me to put this together this year. Like most things, it took way more time than I had anticipated. And I may have had a mild anxiety attack yesterday as the links on one page of the PDF version suddenly decided to go all haywire and link to the same shop. (Thanks for keeping a pregnant woman on her toes, Microsoft Word!) So far they look like they’re behaving–let’s keep our fingers crossed they continue to!
But as you know I have a passion for supporting the handmade community and this was very much a labor of love, one that I hope you will support.
So without further ado, I present to you the (drumroll please)…
Of course today wouldn’t be complete without a Friday Five. But instead of just giving you five of my reasons for buying handmade, I decided to look back at what some of my fellow artisans had to say. Here are five of the many reasons, excerpted from a few of the interviews from this year, of why we think you should buy handmade.
1. It gives you warm and fuzzy feelings
“In a world driven my mass production, people like to feel good about the product they purchase. Intelligent consumers like to know the story and the face behind the art.” –Vickie Foley of Oh Abby Day
2. The personal connection
|Image Credit: Photo by Alicia Rosello Gene on Flickr|
“It is a much more personal experience to buy handmade and it feels good to support someone who is trying so hard to make things they love.” -Lynsey Vanderbeck of Sweetest Hue
“To me, the allure of handmade is the intimate connection between the maker and the item; knowing that the components were individually chosen to bring their vision to life.” –Emily Williams of Etheldora
“I know a lot of my customers like that they can connect to me, the maker, directly. They aren’t stuck with whatever item happens to be on display at a store, they can customize a handmade purchase, receive something unique and different, and know that someone’s years of practice, skill, artistic eye and hours of labor went into it.” –Dara Cheek of Hieropice
3. It’s fresh
“Buying handmade is like buying from the Farmers’ Market: it’s fresher, it’s better and it’s ‘in.'” –Beverly Bochenek of Designbcb
4. Handmade has heart & spirit
|Byzantine Heart Bracelet by Linkouture|
Get free shipping on your first order!
Get access to exclusive sales and updates delivered straight to your inbox! You'll also get instant access to a coupon code good for free shipping on your first order of minimalist eco-friendly jewelry for every day wear emailed to you (good for U.S.-based customers only).